DO I HAVE TO TAKE THIS CLASS?
IFYE SEMINAR - U ST 110 EXEMPTION INFO
The IFYE Seminar - U ST 110 is a mandatory course for all incoming undergraduate international students; and is highly recommended to be completed within the first semester at Iowa State University (ISU). The class focuses on the topics that are important and useful for international students transitioning to living in the U.S. and attending ISU.
In some situations, students may feel that they have been in the U.S. long enough to achieve the IFYE Seminar learning objectives and are eligible to apply for a course exemption.
In order to be exempt from the IFYE Seminar, a student must be able to demonstrate that they have met all of the learning objectives for the IFYE Seminar through either:
- working in the U.S. (off-campus) longer than 5 months and/or
- studying in the U.S. for at least 1 academic year
If a student feels that they meet the exemption criteria for the IFYE Seminar, they will need to complete the IFYE Exemption form found in Cystart (Cystart>Student Services>IFYE Exemption).
As part of the exemption process, a student must be able to explain how they have already met the following IFYE Seminar learning objectives:
- Identify one or more ways to overcome culture shock
- Identify study strategies and habits that ensure their personal academic success
- Recognize ways U.S. laws and customs differ from their home country
- Describe immigration regulations for F-1/J-1 students in regards to enrollment status, academics, and employment
- Recognize the significance of American history and how it impacts U.S. culture
- Identify campus and community resources that ensure personal safety, academic achievement, and a successful transition to life in the U.S.
A student will provide their responses within the e-form to explain how they have met all of the learning objectives through an academic and/or work experience in the U.S. A successful applicant will be able to reflect on their learning within each objective and provide specific examples.
In addition, a student will be asked to provide supplemental documentation, such as an employment letter or transcript, depending on their situation. Further information can be found within the IFYE Exemption e-form. Upon submission, the IFYE Exemption e-form will be reviewed by an IFYE Instructor and students will receive a response within 5 working days.
Students must submit the IFYE Exemption e-form no later than 10 working days after the first day of the semester in order to be eligible.
Even if you plan to apply for an exemption, register for the U ST 110 course and attend all U ST 110 classes. In the event your exemption request is not granted, you will be properly registered for the required course and ensure your academic success.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com