For ISU Departments

*** Update on H-1B Processing ***

March 15, 2017 deadline to submit H-1B request to ISSO to meet the April 3, 2017 deadline to file an H-1B for premium processing before the temporary suspension of this service.

“USCIS Will Temporarily Suspend Premium Processing for All H-1B Petitions”

3/3/2017 News Release

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it will temporarily suspend Premium Processing for up to 6 months.  This suspension applies to all H-1B petitions filed on or after April 3, 2017.  During this time, USCIS will process long-pending petitions and prioritize adjudication of H-1B extension of status cases that are nearing the 240-day mark.  The larger goal is to reduce overall H-1B processing times.

USCIS Citation:

ISSO Information Sheet


This page will guide you:

  • to invite a new international scholar and select an appropriate U.S. immigration status for new international faculty, staff and visitors;
  • to extend the U.S. immigration status of your existing international employees and visitors;
  • to request the appropriate forms from ISSO.


Inviting an International Scholar/Employee

With very few exceptions, citizens of other countries require an "invitation" to participate in professional activities at Iowa State University. That invitation usually takes the form of an official document which the individual must present to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad to request an entry visa. Each U.S. immigration status has a set of rules governing acceptable activities while in the U.S. and determining the length of stay allowed. To determine the most appropriate U.S. immigration status for your international faculty, staff or visitor, please refer to the Getting Started tab.