Welcome to the International Students and Scholars website. Here, you will find resources and important dates and information to assist you during your time at Iowa State University. If you have questions unanswered by this website or cannot find what you're looking for, please visit our office in 3248 Memorial Union or submit a request via firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to an increase of students on campus email traffic has increased, and email responses may take up to 3 working days.
- Students needing an appointment with an advisor must call our main office at 515.294.1120
- F-1 students can sign-up for a CPT or OPT workshop online
Phone scams are back and absolutely rampant right now. It is unfortunate because many people fall victim to them. A good set of rules to follow for any of these suspicious types of calls are as follows:
- NEVER under any circumstances call the number back or answer their email. They are counting on a person doing that which is how they get your info. If you happen to answer the phone simply tell the person you know it's a scam and hang up. Don't get baited into a long conversation or debate with them.
- Understand that any legitimate authority, whether it's a police agency, personal bank, or any other company that a person might actually have legit business with will NEVER solicit money or services in this manner.
- If a person suspects a scam, they can either Google it (and many times this will reveal the truth), or simply call their local police department to report the behavior.
- Many of the individuals responsible for these scams have done their "homework", so to speak, and have looked up the actual phone numbers for some of the agencies/companies they are impersonating. If you call our non-emergency number though, you will get a real dispatcher. The scammers are counting on their victims not questioning them or calling the real number back. They have ways of spoofing IP addresses and email accounts.
Everyone who works in the United States must complete Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) on or before their first day of employment. Before starting your first job at Iowa State, please bring proof of identity and employment authorization to Room 3248 Memorial Union at one of the following I-9 service times:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday: 12-3 p.m.
Completion of the I-9 takes 15-20 minutes. If you cannot arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of an I-9 service time, please plan to attend the next day's session.